Chef Michael Pihl shares Bungalow 44’s secret to marvelous mashed potatoes. Thank you Marin Magazine for a great article: marinmagazine.com/November-2015/Holiday-Comfort/
- 5 large Yukon gold potatoes
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 head of black garlic, peeled
- ½ pound butter
- 1 quart heavy cream
- Scrub, peel and quarter potatoes.
- In a large pot, cover potatoes with cool water and add a pinch of salt. Bring potatoes to a boil, reduce to a simmer, and continue to simmer until tender. Strain excess water.
- Using a food mill or ricer, mash the peeled black garlic (a type of caramelized garlic), followed by the potatoes.
- Place pot — now containing mashed garlic and potatoes — back on the stove on low heat.
- Add butter and stir before adding cream to achieve desired consistency.
- Season with salt and pepper and serve.